Wednesday, August 12, 2015

*My Artistic Inspirations*

I am so humbled that I was recently encouraged to share my story about the artists who have inspired me and my artwork throughout my art journey for *Artist Appreciation Month* by Patience Brewster .  Let me begin by saying that I am so touched that I was even approached by Patience Brewster that they even noticed my artwork in this big old "World Wide Web"...especially with her beautiful artwork surrounding their world...I am completely honored to be a part of this awesome project!

So here is my story of my Artistic Inspirations...as far back as I can recall...I have always wanted to be an artist...I was always attracted to color and patterns (I was a child of the 70's) so that was all around me!  I grew up in a musical home as my mom was a singer and my parents were always playing music...singing and dancing was the norm in our childhood...as well as playing outdoors and exploring.  I grew up with happy childhood memories and loved drawing ever since I could hold a crayon.  My early inspiration from various artists included: Many Book Illustrators (way too many to mention), Disney Art,  Hello Kitty & Lisa Frank.  In my teens I was always trying to draw the Lisa Frank and Hello Kitty art.

My first real exposure to the Art World happened to me in my first year of College in 1987, when I stumbled into a painting course going on and immediately joined it and took painting for that first year.  I did a little realism, scenery and abstract (which I also love).  During this time of early adulthood is when I was inspired by various artists like Folk Artist Diego Rivera but my favorites were the older artworks of angels which I cannot seem to find all those artists names but one who was Bessie Pease Gutman.  I was also fascinated with Catholic Iconic Art that you see in most artbooks.  After my 1st year of junior college, however, life took over and my creativity became dormant.

It wasn't until I got married to my husband Art in 1995, that I discovered the whimsical art of artists Debbie Mumm and Mary Engelbreit and they opened my eyes to whimsy which I just absolutely love!  These artists are the ones I learned about art licensing, which began my dream to one day become a licensed artist.  This reawakened the artist in me and I began drawing more as I was always doodling here and there but when I realized I can do more with my art so I began drawing illustrations for a children' book I was working on in 2001.  In late 2004 I actually self published and illustrated my very first Children's Story "The Rose In Floralsopar".
I was in the planning stages to launch my children's story out into the world in 2005 when sadly, I lost my dearest grandma...and all went dark in my artsy world...but that didn't stay dark for too long as I discovered Mixed-Media art in 2006 and my art world was lit up once again!  Then I discovered so much inspiration on YouTube and found the sweetest artist Paulette Insall in 2007, painting a face and she made it look so exciting, fun and easy that I decided to try it out!  Her willingness to share is why I credit her the most to get me to try it out and then realize that I did have enough talent to create art in this new fantastic way...collage, faces and texture...oh my!  I even had the chance to meet her and take a workshop of hers two years ago while passing through Oregon!


As my style and skills progressed I have been and still am inspired by many artists that I have come across through Face Book to YouTube to Pinterest...there is so much inspiration all around us.  There are so many artists that I would love to mention but I will only mention those who have somehow impacted me in a personal level more recently as I am entering in a new direction with my art...to take it to more of a profession.

In watching Wyanne Thompson's process videos, I feel like a child again watching her work with amazement.  With Artist Teresa Kogut's Angels she inspires me to keep developing my own style of angels.  Artist Valerie Sjodin has the most amazing detailed work I have ever seen and her lettering skills are to me by far the best.  Artist Karla Dornacher's art has inspired me to continue to have fun with my art.  In my most recent inspiration comes from Artist Patience Brewster, who to me is the best whimsical artist I have ever come across...I love the delicate whimsiness with the bright and delightful colors that bring her characters alive!  Just visiting her website is magical!

I am Cre8tvlyYrs, Gina
Thank you very much for visiting my blog and reading my Artistic Inspirations!  For more information about me and my art you could visit my website which also includes my book information.  If you'd like to see my work in progress you can like my Art Page!  Have a blessed week everyone!  Cre8tvlyYrs, Gina

4 comments:

  1. I'm so honored to have played a small part in tour creative life. Keep learning and playing, You have so much to offer the world! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much for your giving me so much inspiration! I am so thankful that I was lead to discover you and I will always be inspired because of you too! :)

      Delete
  2. Gina, thank you for sharing the story of your artful journey. I am honored to be a stop along the way. Many blessings as you forge ahead. Love, Valerie http://visualblessings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Valerie! You are a continual inspiration...not just a stop...I was blessed to discover you and your art! :)

    ReplyDelete